Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Dali Lama thought for the year...

"According to Buddhist psychology, most of our troubles are due to our passionate desire for and attachment to things that we misapprehend as enduring entities"

I agree, as usual, with the Dali Lama, but in practice I find it hard not to get attached to things and people. Moving to Mexico will be one big detachment from everything here in New York. There was a time when I thought leaving my apartment would be difficult. I've always said home is where my 'stuff' is. BUT when I left Geoff and Newcastle all of those years ago, I suddenly realized how easy it is to leave all of the 'things' you think are important. As for people I've found it very freeing over the last few years to just let go and see who comes along and who needs to leave my life.

Peaceful though I try to be when things and people come and go in my life, I am sure that even the Dali Lama would agree that my car, books, ipod, mac and Big Ted are deserving of a limited amount of attachment:)

No comments: