Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Mexico

Just returned from my last vacation to Mexico before my move. The first part of the trip was with a group from Hoboken. As usual a really nice bunch of people. A real mix of characters and and enjoyable group to teach/ dive with, BUT this part of the trip was a little exhausting.

I was very pleased when they all left on Monday and I could relax on my hammock, reading and snoozing. I love being close to (or in) the ocean. I find it has a huge calming effect on me. I feel very peaceful. Here in New York my mind is always racing about one problem or another and relaxing in Cozumel I couldn't seem to care.
I was reading a lying contemplating my upcoming move. A little bit scary giving up my conventional life in New York to live a VERY simplistic life in Mexico. I'd snooze, think, and pick up my book 'The Witch of Portobello' by Pablo Coelho. By chance just as I was pondering the prospect of living more simply, I read the following references in my book: "God hid the most important things from the wise because they cannot understand what is simple [Editors note: Matthew 11:25 : "I thank thee, O Father, thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes" or from St Paul (1 Corinthians 1:27): "But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise, and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the mighty."]". I found myself almost bored lying there and it made my think of the junk I fill my time with in New York - the office and resulting stress, television, teaching like crazy. I never stop and just be. It was an interesting coincidence that I should begin to read that page at that time. When two events happen pertaining to the same line of inquiry then we should pay particular attention. It turned out Allie was reading the same book in Spanish.

No comments: