Friday, February 15, 2008

Proud to be an American


I am now a fully fledged U.S. Citizen. 4 hour of anxious waiting ; A tense 4 min interview... (are you a Habitual drunkard?.. No). The swearing in ceremony was a little bit sentimental (we Americans tend to be a tinsy bit centimental) which made me want to laugh hysterically or start sobbing. Luckily I maintained dignity - even through the video of the song 'Proud to be an American', and Bush's speech:


This is a very good thing because me breaking down in a mixture of hysterical laughing and crying is no good thing (ask my dad about a Sunday mass, many years ago, in a local church in Brooklyn: an 80 year old couple renewing their wedding vows to the tones of Frank Sinatra singing 'True Love' from High Society). Seriously I am kind of proud to be an American - although equally proud to be British (OK so a tinsy bit more proud to be a Brit - RULE BRITANNIA, Britannia rules the waves... - I had my fingers crossed during the part where I had to renounce the Queen) . There aren't many places in the world where people are so privileged. Shit America has hair frosting, laser hair removal, great sushi, good gyms, clean water, safe food, hospitals.... AND well its really become my home over the last 9 years and it feels good to know it always will be.

It was funny I asked a girl on the street for directions to the PATH in Newark and hearing m English accent she said, 'where are you from'. I said actually I'm American, but only for about 15 minutes. She said why did you do that. Well, said I, its funny but its really because I want to move to Mexico...

And if you want to get a feel for what the interivew was like:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOOOO HOOOOO!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Wow! You're American now! Now... move down to Mexico!