Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Austin

Austin was a relatively short trip so I took my time. We arrived at around 10.30 am. The roads here are crazy (bit like a giant scaelectircs set):
Interchange of Interstate 35 and State Highway 45.
Interchange of Interstate 35 and State Highway 45.

Happily we were able to check right in to our room. This is a Candlewood Suites hotel, the rooms are pretty basic in decor but they have a kitchen, and a huge table which is great because I want to make sure that today that I have everything arranged for our crossing the border on Thursday (the journey to Brownsville is likely to be another hellish drive) . In addition I want to keep tomorrow night free because it is the 2 hour long season premier of my favorite TV show 'Bones'. I know its sad but it really is the only show I like to watch on TV. Hopefully I will be able to download this from Mexico. My new temporary home will have wireless internet.
The other great thing about this hotel is that it has a room called the 'Candlewood Kitchen' which has free washers and dryers and all manner of foodstuffs that you might want to buy - its all based on the honor system. Dad washed all of the clothes he'd worn so far and I washed a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. We had lunch at a restaurant on the South side of the city called the Congress Cafe. The area reminded me of Brooklyn Heights.
The Battery on my camera has decided to fail which is not great timing. I tried Radio Shack and this other battery shop but no luck. I guess I'll order one in NY and ask Allie or Charlie to bring it down. I know Allie loved Austin and I'm sorry I wont get time to see more of it.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Coming out of lurkdome to say that I'm enoying reading your travels! I have an Aunt who lives in Dallas and I'm always amazed by the overpasses there. They call those mixmasters.

Safe Journey to you and your dad as you leave one country for another. I hope to be living in Playa soon as well.